I LOVE muffins! I found my collection of muffin recipes grew faster than my cookie collection! To me, muffins are so versatile. They make for an easy breakfast option, quick mid-afternoon snack (especially if you’re on the go) and sometimes can even be a choice for dessert, if they are just as chocolately as these chocolate banana muffins!
Muffins also freeze well! When I was pregnant, I made up a handful of freezer meals and I did some baking as well and let me tell you, it SAVED me during those first few weeks with my newborn son! As a first time mom, I was already knee-deep in a whole new and different world. With barely any time to catch up on that much-needed sleep, there was no way I was getting into the kitchen to do any sort of baking. I was so thankful for those frozen baked goods! Only problem was I didn’t make enough! I didn’t realize how constantly hungry you felt after giving birth; I felt like I was eating non-stop!!
Another plus of muffins, they can be a great way to get those picky eaters to eat some fruit and veggies! Carrots, apples and zucchini are just a couple of examples of what I’ve snuck into muffins and have gotten away with! They were given the thumbs up approval by some pretty picky eaters I know! I’ve already pinned recipes for toddler muffin recipes, just in case!
One of the recipes I made and froze while pregnant were these chocolate banana muffins! The combo of chocolate and banana is a classic, can’t go wrong!
Chocolate Banana Muffins
Yield: 12 large muffins
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line your muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, vegetable oil and egg.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Add to wet ingredients.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Set aside roughly 1/4 cup to sprinkle on tops of muffins.
- Divide the batter evenly into your muffin tin. Take remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and sprinkle them onto tops of batter.
- Bake muffins for 20 minutes or until muffin tops spring back with touch.
- Let muffins cool in tin for about 5-10 minutes before removing.