Due to my constant buying-but-never-getting-around-to-eat-bananas, I find I am always using bananas in my baking! Not that I’m complaining though!
It’s actually funny, I used to hate bananas! The taste, the texture…wasn’t for me. Didn’t mind it in baking but you wouldn’t catch me eating a banana. That’s changed now, except now I just forget to eat them. Oops.
These banana oat muffins are perfect for breakfast or an on-the-go snack! Dress them up a little too; add some chocolate chips, pecans or maybe a maple glaze drizzled on top. Yum!
Banana Oat Muffins
1 + 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Pinch of nutmeg
1 large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 overripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and line a muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all topping ingredients together until crumbs form. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sugar, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg, oil, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until combined. Add in mashed bananas.
- Evenly divide batter into muffin tin and sprinkle topping mixture onto tops of muffins.
- Bake muffins for 17-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in pan for at least 5 minutes before removing. Enjoy!