My go-to holiday cookie is the basic (but delicious) sugar cookie! I love making them for all holidays as I find they are super easy to make, require simple ingredients, and I have fun decorating them with a royal icing glaze! They are always a hit too! Another reason I love these sugar cookies – no chilling of the dough required!
I always decorate my sugar cookies with royal icing. I’ve used an egg white recipe before but I just recently bought a big container of meringue powder so interested to see how it works out that way!
Do you have a go-to holiday cookie or baking recipe?
Basic Sugar Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
1 large egg, room temperature
2 tsp baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In an electric stand mixer bowl, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients a little at a time. Dough will start to become stiff, once too stiff, you can turn mixer off and knead in the last of the flour mixture by hand.
- Divide the dough in smaller batches and roll out onto a floured surface. Cut out desired shapes and place onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake cookies for 6-8 minutes or until edges are slightly golden. Let cookies cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transfering to cooling rack. Decorate cookies with your favourite icing or eat them as is, enjoy!