Do you ever come across something that reminds you of something from your childhood? A place, a smell, a food, a toy….??
Years back, my sister and I were on a shopping trip when we walked into a hat store. Instantly, we looked at each other and both said, “Did you just smell the rumpus room”. The rumpus room was the basement of my grandparents home where us kids would play for endless hours and this hat store smelled exactly like it! Crazy that both of us were taken back to that room!
This chocolate chip cookie recipe is the one my mom made all the time for us when we were younger. I like to bake something at the start of the week for my husband to take to work and this week, he asked for cookies. I knew I wanted to make these!
They don’t require a lot but are so good…least I think so! This time around, I decided to plunk a few extra chocolate chips right on the top of the dough before putting them into bake. Mmm, extra chocolately goodness in each bite! I had one fresh from the oven (that’s when cookies are always the best) and I remembered why I liked them so much. I also remembered all the times I sat up on the counter and watched my mom bake these. The best part back then – licking the leftover batter off the spoon and bowl!! Make sure you have a glass of milk nearby! Nothing better than chocolate chip cookies and milk!!
Mama’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: Approx. 4 dozen
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bow, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric stand mixer bowl, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugars, and vanilla until light and fluffy. One at a time, add the eggs.
- Turn down speed to low and slowly add flour mixture into wet ingredients. By hand, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop roughly 1 tbsp of dough onto prepared baking sheets, leaving at least one inch between cookies.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until golden. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.