5 days till Christmas, 5 days till Christmas!! I still have a couple gifts to pick up, gifts to be made, gifts to be wrapped, and two cookie recipes to make up! Phew!
I made some cookie dough up on Monday and left it to chill till Tuesday. Well, yesterday I baked those cookies and then they went into the garbage [insert face palm emoji here]. It happens. They weren’t awful, they just weren’t good. I even tried putting the icing on but can’t sugarcoat everything…the cookies still weren’t that good. I tried tweaking a few recipes I found to create one but somewhere it went wrong. Oh well. Lesson learned. Today, I found a new recipe and I will be back in the kitchen.
BUT I did make one yummy treat that turned out great! Turtles Bark! I actually changed this one up a little too. My original plan was to make up some homemade turtle clusters but with my new (can I still call it new after 9 months??) mom brain, I forgot to pick up another bag of pecans…yes, they were on the grocery list too [insert face palm emoji here].
I had the chocolate chips, caramel, and enough pecans already that I switched from clusters to bark and this one didn’t end up in the garbage! It’s such an easy to make recipe and will most likely be a great hit at your Christmas get-together, I mean who doesn’t like chocolate and caramel?? I brought some of it to my in-laws for our family dinner night and it was quickly devoured, which is the only way to eat it as it starts to melt once handled.
1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (300 grams)
1 bag of Werther’s Soft Caramels, unwrapped (113 grams)
1 + 1/2 tbsp heavy cream (or milk)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Line a 15″x10″ cookies sheet with wax paper. Set aside.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, pour in the whole bag of chocolate chips. Microwave for 45 seconds, remove, stir then microwave for another 45 seconds. Repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Using a flat spatula, pour melted chocolate onto prepared baking sheet until roughly 1/4″ thick.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, place in the unwrapped caramels and heavy cream (or milk). Microwave for 45 seconds, remove, stir then microwave for another 30 seconds. Repeat until until caramel is smooth.
- Drizzle the melted caramel over top of the chocolate. Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top. (I save a little bit of caramel to drizzle on top of the pecans).
- Place bark in the fridge for it to set, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Once hardened, use a sharp knife to put into pieces or break pieces with hands.