I have grown to really appreciate the Instagram baking community – so many talented bakers out there! Tips and suggestions are provided to improve baking skills, amazing recipes are shared (which I have stored away so many to try later!!), and such wonderful compliments are given!
The one downside…I see so many delicious looking photos of food that literally make me drool usually when I’m stuck eating my lame dinner or in bed, trying to fall asleep, ha! It’s not fair sometimes! Lately, I have been seeing several photos of my two favourite desserts – s’mores and brownies! Finally, I decided a midweek-pick-me-up was needed! I combined those two yummy desserts to make up some very yummy s’more brownies! I used the best ever chewy brownie recipe from Handle the Heat. Have you tried her recipe yet?! They seriously are the best! Never again will I buy a box brownie mix.
For my s’more brownies, I added a 1/2 cup of crushed graham crackers into the batter. I know you can buy crushed graham cracker, however, I chose to crush them myself by placing 6 crackers (I think) into a large ziploc and getting out the good ol’rolling pin and giving ’em a couple hard whacks; works great!
The brownies require 30 minutes of baking, so I placed them in the oven for 20 minutes then removed them to add the topping. I sprinkled mini marshmallows to cover the whole top of the brownie…sorry I don’t have an actual measurement, about a cup or two??? I broke up some more graham crackers, into chunks, and tossed them on top too. I carefully pressed them down a bit then back into the oven for the last 10 minutes. Once done baking, I let the brownies cool completely in the pan before removing them (which was super easy thanks to the parchment paper that hung over the side). I didn’t have any baker’s chocolate on hand so I quickly melted up some chocolate chips to drizzle over the top to complete the s’more effect!
They turned out sooo good! Definitely did the trick for a little pick-me-up. And if you’re anything like me and love brownies, good luck not eating the whole pan!!
1 + 1/4 cup granulated sugar
5 tbsp unsalted butter
2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk, cold
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup crushed graham crackers
Graham crackers, broken into pieces
Chocolate chips, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees and line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, add the butter and sugar and microwave until butter is melted; about 1 minute. Whisk in the eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla. Stir in the oil and cocoa powder.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and crushed graham crackers.
- Evenly spread the batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Take out of oven and sprinkle on mini marshmallows (I made sure the top was completely covered) and sprinkle on pieces of graham crackers. Put back into the oven and bake for 10 minutes – keep an eye on to make sure marshmallows don’t burn.
- Let the brownies cool completely in pan. Remove from pan and drizzle top with melted chocolate. Cut and enjoy!