On Tuesday, we celebrated my husband’s 27th birthday! And by celebrated, I mean we ate a dinner dish of his choice then he hunkered down to study for a test! BUT he did get a cake…a donut cake!
We had dinner with his family on Monday night where we had not one, but two cakes! He’s a twin (has a twin sister) so they each had their own cake to blow out their own candles. So when I was deciding what to make for his birthday treat, I wasn’t feeling like we needed another cake.
He loves churros and anything else smothered in the delicious mixture of cinnamon and sugar; I should note that he just loves sugar in general. I needed a recipe that was quick and easy as it was a last minute decision…can I blame it on the mom brain?! I remembered these cinnamon sugar donuts from A Happy Food Dance that I made a long time ago and knew they would make the perfect birthday treat!
These donuts use only basic ingredients so I didn’t need to run off to the store and they bake up so quick that they were done just in time before he got home from school! The first time I made these donuts, I dunked each donut into a bowl of melted butter then tossed them into the cinnamon sugar mixture. After my husband and I each took a bite, we both thought it tasted like way too much butter and there’s nothing yummy about biting into a stick of butter! So this time, I used a pastry brush and brushed on the butter, just enough so the cinnamon sugar would have something to stick to!
Fun fact about donuts: They help with the realization that you are now in your late twenties…waaaa!!
Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
Yields: 12 donuts
1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly grease two 6-cavity donut pans. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together egg, milk, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In an electric stand mixer bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add half of the wet ingredients into butter/sugar mixture. Then add in the dry ingredients followed by the remaining wet ingredients. Mix until just combined – do not overmix!
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag or a large ziplock baggie with the tip cut off. Pipe into the donut pan, filling only half full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer to cooling rack
- While the donuts are baking, you can prepare your topping. Melt butter in a small bowl. In another bowl mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
- Once donuts have cooled slightly to handle, (working one at a time) brush on the melted butter then roll each donut in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Enjoy!
Recipe slightly adapted from: A Happy Food Dance