World Nutella Day was back on February 5th and I planned on baking these Nutella brownies but the universe had other plans and unfortunately, it was not nearly as good!
Our little home got hit with the flu hard which put me out of the kitchen and onto the couch where I binged on Netflix and chicken noodle soup. Once we were all back to ourselves, I was able to get to some time in the kitchen to make these super delicious Nutella brownies!!
I was including them in my Valentine gift box so of course, they were cut into cute little hearts and I added the pink and red Smarties to add some fun colour! They may not have been enjoyed on World Nutella Day…but when you love Nutella as much as I do, every day can be World Nutella Day 🙂
Nutella Smartie Brownies
1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 + 1/4 cup Nutella, divided
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Smarties
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line the bottom and sides of a 9×9 baking pan.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter on high until smooth and creamy. Add in brown sugar and beat until creamed, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Reduce speed to low, add in eggs and vanilla, beating until combined. Add in salt and 1 cup of Nutella, mixing until smooth and fluffy. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- On low speed, add in the flour, mixing until just combined – do not overmix! Set aside a handful of smarties to place on top. By hand, fold in the remaining smarties.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Drop teaspoons of the remaining 1/4 cup of Nutella on top. Using a knife, swirl Nutella into the batter. Sprinkle on the remaining Smarties.
- Bake brownies for 30-35 minutes. Keep an eye on them and test with a toothpick; if toothpick comes out with only a couple moist crumbs, the brownies are done.
- Allow brownies to cool completely in the pan, set on a cooling rack. Once cooled, lift and remove from pan. Cut into desired shapes with a knife or cookie cutter. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Nutella Brownie Recipe Source: Sally’s Baking Addiction