Mmm…raspberries and white chocolate; one of those match made in heaven kind of pairs…am I right?!
I had a coffee date planned with a friend and my sister; and not just any friend, she’s my longest friend of 20 years (and counting) so I knew I had to make some sort of yummy treat to share! I texted my sister asking her thought on Spiced Oatmeal and Raspberry scones and well, she gave me the look my husband gave me when I told him I was adding broccoli to our dinner dish the other night, ha! Instead, she suggested Raspberry White Chocolate scones and she was in luck, I had just picked up white chocolate chips on my last grocery store visit.
Scones are best eaten the day of so I hardly make them because my husband and I aren’t going to eat 8 scones in a day or two and our tiny freezer doesn’t have much room to keep frozen dough. This recipe makes 8 scones, I was going to leave a couple at home but ended up bringing all 8 for our coffee visit and it was a good thing I did because I came home with none left!
They are deeelicious! Soft, sweet and full of flavour!! Don’t be intimated by scones either; these scones come together quite easy! They are a bit messy when folding in the raspberries but trust me, they are all worth the mess!
Raspberry White Chocolate Scones
Yield: 8 scones
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold & cut into cubes
1 + 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup powdered sugar
3-4 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and sour cream. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry cutter (or two forks), add in the butter until pea-sized chunks appear in dough. Pour in the milk mixture and fold to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, dump out dough, sprinkle with flour to help with stickiness and form a rough circle making an indent in the centre. Add in the raspberries and white chocolate chips. Fold dough over, making sure raspberries and white chocolate get worked throughout. It will become messy as raspberries blend into dough.
- Shape dough into a 1-inch thick circle and cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges onto prepared baking sheets. Optional – place a few white chocolate chips on top, pressing them into dough.
- Bake scones for 15-18 minutes or until tops are lightly golden. While scones are baking, make your glaze: Combine powdered sugar and milk until a drizzle like consistency is achieved.
- Let scones cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Drizzle glaze over warm scones. Best eaten within two days. Enjoy!