I have a confession to make…I used to think coffee cake was cake that tasted like coffee. Ick. I love coffee but I’m not into coffee flavoured desserts so up until maybe a handful of years ago, I would always politely pass up any coffee cake offered my way, ha! Silly me.
My father in-law’s favourite dessert is coffee cake so it become a common dessert over at my in-laws and once I saw how much my #pickyhusband loved it, I knew it couldn’t be that bad after all. One bite in and I was hooked!
Now I know there are lots of varieties of coffee cake but when I think of coffee cake, I think mainly of a cinnamon-sugar cake. Simple, easy and delicious! My husband’s favourite flavour is cinnamon-sugar…(that is a flavour, right?!) so when I saw this recipe for Cinnamon Coffee Cake muffins from Isabel Eats, I knew I had to make them for our week.
I’m a huge fan of muffins. They’re great for breakfast, afternoon snack or a quick bite on the run and they’re great to pack in my husband’s lunches! These muffins have such a great flavour to them and the best part about them – the streusel topping…it’s almost like they’re a mini cake! Do I need to say anything more?!
Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 large eggs
1 cup powdered sugar
3-4 tbsp milk
Prepare the streusel first:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, light brown sugar, ground cinnamon and salt.
- Add the melted butter and whisk until well combined. Add the flour and mix everything together until moist. There should be big and small chunks of streusel. Set aside.
To make muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners or nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, light brown sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, Greek yogurt and eggs until well combined. Add into the dry ingredients and mix together until a thick batter is formed.
- Pour the batter evenly into the muffin tins and top the muffins with the streusel topping; pressing streusel into batter.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. When muffins are baking, make your glaze: Combine powdered sugar and milk together, stirring until a drizzle like consistency is reached.
- Remove muffins and let them cool before drizzling with glaze and serving. Enjoy!
Recipe Source: Isabel Eats