When we got married 3.5 years ago, one of my biggest worries was “I’m actually going to have to cook dinners to keep us alive”, haha! I love baking but hate cooking. Anyone else?! If I had an endless supply of money, I would for sure hire a live-in chef!! But I don’t so let’s just say, thank goodness for Pinterest!
My mother in-law started a cookbook for each child of hers to take with them when they moved out, so when my husband and I moved in together we were gifted the cookbook. Not only does it include family dinner recipes but it includes a bunch of yummy desserts, including my favourite ice cream dessert my mother in-law makes for my birthday…maaaybe I’ll share it one day. One of the other dessert recipes included, Dad’s Favourite Coffee Cake. I baked it up for my husband to take to work for a nice little treat for him and his Dad…and the new guy, nothing like home-baked treats when starting a new job.
Overall, the recipe is easy to follow but there are some extra steps such as prepping the streusel and mixing the baking soda into the sour cream beforehand, so make sure to really read the recipe over before starting! It seems silly to say read the whole recipe first but seriously, it’s a very important step with all recipes! And don’t forget the note at the bottom of the recipe. The batter is a bit difficult to spread so I found running my spatula under warm water every once in awhile really helped.
I hope you enjoy this coffee cake as much as we do!
Dad's Favourite Coffee Cake
Yield: 9x13 cake
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sour cream
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and lightly grease a 9×13 pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all streusel ingredients and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the baking soda into the sour cream. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Add in vanilla.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and sour cream mixture into the butter sugar mixture (in the electric stand mixer bowl). Stir until just combined, do not overmix!
- Spoon half the batter into the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle with about 3/4 cup of the streusel. Pour in remaining batter and top with remaining streusel *
- Bake for 40-55 minutes or until top is lightly brown. Cool first before serving.
* Batter can be difficult to spread. Drop by spoonfuls and spread with wet spatula or knife.